Sunday, March 17, 2019

Retirement

I don't know quite what I expected from retirement, but I didn't really think I'd be quite so busy! Not that I'm complaining by any means. I like to get out and tend to get very morose if I can't. It has also allowed me to be able to be "the wheels" for my Mom since she gave up driving last year. I usually spend part of two or three days a week with her, as well as taking her to church on Sunday mornings. Last week I was busy every day. Taking my Mom shopping and doing all the usual things, plus some fun! My best friend, Donna, has a beautiful 3-year-old grandson named Alex, who calls me Grandma Sue. His baby brother is due to be born in the next couple of weeks! Guess where we took Alex last week? 


Yes, that's the Count! We saw Sesame Street Live in Albany, NY. We let his mom come too! He enjoyed it and we enjoyed watching him. We couldn't believe the prices of the things they were selling. A plastic wand that lights up and blows bubbles was $30! A little plastic Cookie Monster basket with tasteless chocolate chip cookies inside was $15. Of course price was no object to the "Grannies," but it really was ridiculous. 



Another day, Alex decorated the tree at his grandmother's house for Easter. Never too early to get ready! Since he's expecting a new brother, they've been reading a lot of books about big brotherly behavior and about families. So when he put the eggs on the branches he insisted on making an egg family on the branch. That certainly wasn't going over well with Donna's interior decorating, so we had to convince him to spread them out. 


Speaking of eggs, our hens are the best egg-layers! I wish we had an outlet for them, as we are getting between 16-18 per day. So far we've been able to give all the extras to friends and family, but it would be nice to get a dollar or two a dozen just to put the money back into chicken feed. 



Finally, we have some green poking up through the ground! After all that snow and ice this year, this couldn't be a more welcome sight. Daffodils and tulips!

This will be another busy week. I've got plans for every day but Friday - but there are a couple of fun options for Friday, too. What do you have planned?


8 comments:

  1. I wish you lived close to me - I'd buy a dozen off you each week, for sure.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sesame Street has certainly become an industry, hasn't it? Good luck disposing of all your eggs -- how big is your chicken flock? And yay -- spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have 21 hens and one handsome rooster.

      Delete
  3. My new retirement life is never consistent. One week really busy then the next just lazing around. Shame you can't send all your eggs over here, but I eggspect :) they would all be broken by the time they reached me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so lucky to still have your mom to visit and take places. I sure miss being able to see mine. I'm very impressed with the light up egg tree! I've never seen such a big one. I might have to look around for one like that. Have a super week!!
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am so fortunate! I'm taking my Mom and her twin sister shopping and to lunch tomorrow. They're 87 years old. Such a wonderful blessing.

      Delete
    2. Why not put a cooler by the road with the eggs? Put a sign out and something to hold some money and use the honor system? You see that a lot out here on the island.

      Delete