Thursday, June 6, 2019

Some Nice Weather at Last!

June is finally bringing us some good weather. May was very wet and cool and although it hasn't really warmed up much, we're headed in that direction.


Most people in this area open their swimming pools on Memorial Day weekend, which is the last weekend in May. I don't see many pools open when I'm driving around, and I definitely haven't seen anyone swimming. It's just too cool!


The vegetable garden is planted. We buried the fence about 10 inches this year hoping to keep out the groundhogs. Last year we caught and relocated quite a few, but they left their mark on the garden. 


My beautiful new wheelbarrow has come in handy already. I'm mulching the area around the trees Pete planted last month and boy are those bags of mulch heavy! I don't know why I waited so long to get going on this. Pete did all the planting and added lots of nice topsoil. I should have put down the landscape fabric and mulch right away. Oh well. With all the rain, the weeds have had a field day!


Before is above and after below. I have one little section left to do and it will be done and ready to admire every time we pull in the driveway.


Pete had to change some huge tires on a front-end loader, so we used one to make a planter. I think it looks cute! We added a metal chicken we got from a farm store nearby. That's our phone booth nightlight for the back yard in the distance!


It should look nice when the plants fill in a little. There's some coreopsis and some purple salvia and around the edge some marigolds. I might add something to drift over the sides a bit.



Finally, here's the beautiful hanging basket of petunias I got this morning. A local hardware store has beautiful, reasonable baskets every year and I always treat myself. That's the kitchen window right over the sink on the right side. It's nice to look out on the plant when I'm washing dishes. We chose the bright pink this year hoping it will draw the hummingbirds. 

I hope you are all enjoying some wonderful early summer weather!


7 comments:

  1. It finally felt like summer here, today. Good for you fencing in the garden like that. Hope you don't have any more groundhog problems! -Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. The planter is a great idea (I thought the chicken was real, for a moment!) and the area arounder the trees looks so neat. You've worked hard.
    Fingers crossed you get some warmer weather very soon. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tyre makes a splendid planter - such a clever idea.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the planter and the phone booth. Brilliant idea. One of the cottages along the road near us has used smaller tyres as planters and painted them in rainbow colours. They look very cheerful. We have had such a miserable spring so far and our summer looks to be very far away. One day of sunshine this week and now there is a big storm heading our way from the Atlantic. Oh joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a HUGE tire. How great that you got to re-purpose it! And I love the phone booth nightlight! We've had really cool weather here too. It was 52 degrees F when I walked the dog this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just love that tyre, wow, how big is the truck? thanks for the lovely comment on the cat.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing a lot of work and it shows. It's nice to have the yard nice for the summer, isn't it? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete